Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce

If my little boy, Kaiden, wants 4ths of this it must be good.

Here is the original base from allrecipes with some modifications. Please read my notes at the bottom.

14 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, well drained
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 egg
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt


Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta chesse, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt and remaining oregano. Drain pasta shells; cool slightly. Stuff with cheese mixture.
Spread 1/2 of meat sauce into greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish; arrange shells over sauce in a single layer. Pour remaining meat sauce over the shells. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.

** When I tried to make the sauce according to the recipe I found it bland. I do not usually measure the spices I use. I added more dried Basil, Oregeno, Seasoning salt, pepper, a little nutmeg, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Next time I will use a jarred sauce so I do not have to add as much.

** When we cooked the noodles a few came out broken so instead of filling them I put them in the pan and covered with sauce and cheese.

I will definately make this again I just see some big room for variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment